Interstitial cystitis is a chronic condition causing bladder pressure, bladder pain, and sometimes pelvic pain. The pain ranges from mild discomfort to severe pain. The condition is a part of a spectrum of diseases known as painful bladder syndrome.

Intersitial Cystitis
Intersitial Cystitis
Intersitial Cystitis



The signs and symptoms of interstitial cystitis vary from person to person. If you have interstitial cystitis, your symptoms may also vary over time, periodically flaring in response to common triggers, such as menstruation, sitting for a long time, stress, exercise and sexual activity.

Interstitial cystitis signs and symptoms include:

  • Pain in your pelvis or between the vagina and anus in women
  • Pain between the scrotum and anus (perineum) in men
  • Chronic pelvic pain
  • A persistent, urgent need to urinate
  • Frequent urination, often of small amounts, throughout the day and night (up to 60 times a day)
  • Pain or discomfort while the bladder fills and relief after urinating
  • Pain during sex

Symptoms severity is different for everyone, and some people may experience symptom-free periods.

Although signs and symptoms of interstitial cystitis may resemble those of a chronic urinary tract infection, there's usually no infection. However, symptoms may worsen if a person with interstitial cystitis gets a urinary tract infection.

Intersitial Cystitis

Diagnosis Of interstitial cystitis:
  • Medical history and bladder diary. Your health care provider may ask you to describe your symptoms and to keep a bladder diary, recording the volume of fluids you drink and the volume of urine you pass.
  • Pelvic exam. During a pelvic exam, your provider examines your external genitals, vagina and cervix and feels your abdomen to assess your internal pelvic organs. Your provider may also examine your anus and rectum.
  • Urine test. A sample of your urine is analyzed for signs of a urinary tract infection.
  • Cystoscopy. Your provider inserts a thin tube with a tiny camera (cystoscope) through the urethra, showing the lining of your bladder. Your provider may also inject liquid into your bladder to measure your bladder capacity. Your provider may perform this procedure, known as hydrodistention after you've been numbed with an anesthetic medication to make you more comfortable.

Book an Appointment


Urologist is the specialist to consult for the condition.

Some patients find relief from symptoms after acupuncture. Other traditional medicines are also known to provide relief.

It is difficult to say yes or no. There are twins who have suffered from the condition. Certain ethnic groups sems to be more prone to it for example Jews, whoare more likely to get the condition than non-jews.